all about me: my first blog post where I overshare worse than that really drunk girl you see crying to strangers in the smoking area

Hello everyone!

Welcome to ‘The Intensive Clare Unit,’ where I share the crazy and cringe-worthy stories of my life.

To give you all some context, my name is Clare and I am a 22 year-old Irish girl living in Spain. Although living abroad had always been on the cards for me, my life plans were turned upside down when nine months ago, I was rejected from a scholarship that would enable me to pursue what I thought was my dream career: becoming a barrister in London. For months I felt so hopeless, wondering what was next for me, cringing at my performance at the scholarship interview and beating myself up for not knowing any better. When I graduated six months ago, surrounded by my classmates who had secured graduate jobs and training contracts, I felt so confused. My whole life I had pushed and pushed to become a lawyer and suddenly, here I was, questioning everything that I had ever worked for.  

My academic life thus far had been thoroughly unenjoyable. I put so much pressure on myself in school that getting a B felt like the end of the world. I was taunted for being the teacher’s pet and other students celebrated when they got higher grades than me. When I finally moved school, I cried into my breakfast every morning for three months because I hated it so much. After I finished my A-Levels, I was promised the time of my life at university, but struggled immensely to make friends and adjust to my new life. Then came the pandemic and months of gruelling online lectures and tutorials. At the time, I thought it would all be worth it in the end, but yet, here I was on graduation day, with a law degree but with no job offers, no scholarships and absolutely no idea what I was going to do.

For weeks, I spent every morning on LinkedIn and Facebook, searching and applying and hearing nothing back. It felt pointless, but just as I was about to throw the towel in, I received an email from an English academy in Alicante, 'Hi Clare! I have some good news for you. I will be able to offer another position for the new course and I'm interested in you.' I was elated. Although working in a non-legal job wasn't the original plan, I had always wanted to live in Spain and learn Spanish, and this seemed like the perfect solution until I figured out my career plans. And so five months ago I arrived in Alicante with barely any teaching experience, barely any money and barely any Spanish. These three, fairly large obstacles landed me in some highly questionable situations, the penultimate resulting in me (literally) walking down the aisle in a £6 Primark dress. Needless to say that next time I find myself walking down the aisle, I hope I’ll be wearing something slightly more upmarket (but more on this later).

Moving to Spain was definitely the right decision for me. I've met people who have come to care about me so much and who push me to do new things (like writing this blog). I enjoy my job and I get such fulfilment from hearing my students use new words and phrases that I have taught them. I'm learning more and more Spanish everyday and I have actually began to understand the old lady at the bus stop who hasn't yet caught
 on that I have absolutely no idea what she's saying ('Si, claro,' and a nod gets you a long way). 
In these moments, where life just seems so simple, any past hardship feels so far away and so utterly irrelevant.

However, that is not to say that the past five months have been plain sailing. In an attempt to integrate into Spanish life, I have found myself in so many crazy situations thinking, ‘How in God’s name did I get myself into this?’ Situations that are so out of pocket that the last time I rang my granny to tell her what I was up to, she laughed for three minutes straight and told me, ‘Clare, sometimes I just don’t believe your life is real.’ And to be honest, sometimes I don’t believe it is either. These situations have inspired me to create a blog in order to document my life, so stay tuned, because there is a lot more to come.


Comments

  1. life is beautiful and full of surprises , keep smiling and enjoying every moment and you gonna win it !!
    Force a toi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clare I have officially anointed myself as your new virtual bestfriend. You have no say in the matter. Other than blocking me of course :)

    First blog, a total knockout. Here's to many many more. Fair play young McC. Your Ma and Da will be proud x JMS

    ReplyDelete
  3. From buda 🥰23 January 2023 at 23:55

    Love love love it !!! So exited to learn my english like that

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love this! Can’t wait to read more ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Proof I'm here from day 1~ (so excited to hear all of your stories!) (Also how well written is this?? Unreal)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right really well written!!

      Delete
  6. Whatever you decide to do just be sure it will make you happy❤️ okaaay let's gooo

    ReplyDelete
  7. honestly such a true reflection of doing law + all the pressure that comes with it!! you look happier than ever and i’m rooting for you ! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm waiting for the next episode, it's amazing

    ReplyDelete
  9. So powerful! Everything you deserved!😘

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg Clare!! I never knew you could write so well! Amazing! Looking forward to more of your blogs ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, the honesty and what an inspiring story! Can’t wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulously written piece! What’s meant to be won’t pass you ! Spain agrees with you . Can’t wait to hear more. 😘😘

    ReplyDelete
  13. So proud of you, can’t wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Clare. I've sent you post to my Irish lady friends here in Spain and I will cite it in my own blog today - www.thoughtsfromgaliicia.com

    Good luck with your adventure. BTW: I also failed in my dream to become a barrister and quite the law after graduating as I didn't want to be a solictor. Have never regretted this. Colin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Intensive Clare Unit 😭😭 I love it

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Clare. A joy to hear from you and read your eloquent musings. Delighted you are trying your hand at the old teaching lark, it is very rewarding especially if you get to meet wonderful students just like yourself. Finding your career pathway is not a race nor is it a straight road. All of the little diversions make the destination much more exciting. You are a wonderful, intelligent and beautiful young woman and now you are having a great opportunity in sunnier environs to develop your ever increasing portfolio of talent. God bless and let me know when chapter two is ready. Perhaps blogs don’t have chapters…oops!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations Clare on your first blog! Can’t wait to read more xx💕

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bravo Clare! I really enjoyed reading this and am looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved this. Can’t wait for next instalment

    ReplyDelete
  20. Annette Mulholland24 January 2023 at 23:48

    Hi Clare, you’ve came such a long way and never once did I notice how you felt about school. Your always so bubbly, polite and adventurous. Can’t wait to read more. You look fabulous in your picture. I’m sure your students love you. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  21. Proud of you Clare - loved reading this ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic Clare can’t wait for more! Spain is agreeing with for sure x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Clare, you have wisdom beyond your years. Looking forward to reading more of your adventures in life (and Spain).

    ReplyDelete
  24. Brilliant, and well done for taking the plunge!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ohh Clare, you’re a tonic for the troops lol good on ya wee woman love love your blog, keep doing what you’re doing, you look amazing and this lifestyle obviously agrees with you, love Veronica x

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love it Clare. You’ll go far. Spain is lucky to have you. Looking forward to hearing more. xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. 🙌 amazing Clare!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think you've found your true vocation(s) ,Clare , but ,whatever you choose to do next, I've no doubt you'll make a tremendous success of it. In the meantime, enjoy everything Spain has to offer! Enhorabuena!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the one where I walk down the aisle in a 6 euro primark dress

how homesickness led me to the most embarrassing moment of my life (so far)